Re: offeredBy to supersede vendor, merchant, provider, seller, …?

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 12:55:34PM -0400, Vicki Tardif Holland wrote:
>I would like to resurrect this discussion.  I propose the following:
>
>1. The provider property has existed on CreativeWork for some time and is
>heavily used. Leave it as is.
>2. Deprecate all other uses of provider under a new property
>"serviceProvider". The domain would be:
>    BusTrip
>    Flight
>    Reservation
>    Service
>   TrainTrip
>
>3. Keep carrier on ParcelDelivery.
>4. Deprecate carrier on Flight.
>5. Expand the domain for the existing serviceOperator to include Flight.
>Flight > serviceOperator replaces Flight > carrier.
>6. Deprecate vendor in favor of BuyAction > seller.
>7. Deprecate merchant in favor of Order > seller.

+1 to all of this

>We are still left with non-commercial Offers using the term "seller". Any
>thoughts on a more inclusive term are welcome.

To make up for my horrible long ago suggestion of "offerer", how about
"supplier" as a synonym (or superproperty?) for "seller" - it's currently
unused in schema.org, and these definitions seem to fit quite nicely:

"a company, organization, or country that supplies or sells a product or
a service" [1]

"A vendor, or a supplier, is a supply chain management term that means
anyone who provides goods or services to a company or individuals." [2]

1. http://www.macmillandictionary.com/thesaurus/british/supplier
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendor