Re: makesOffer should accept Service

On 01/01/2014 11:22 PM, Dan Scott wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Tyler Shuster
> <tyler.herrshuster@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm just starting out here, but it seems to me that "makesOffer" should also
>> accept Thing/Intangible/Service. Specifically, I work for a computer repair
>> company and I want to be able to say that we provide a service, not a
>> product. My markup under "schema.org/LocalBusiness" is `
>> itemprop="makesOffer" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Service/"`.
>
> Hi Tyler:
>
> http://schema.org/makesOffer actually takes an Offer. Offer has an
> itemOffered property, which in turn points at a Product. The
> definition of http://schema.org/Product is that it includes commodity
> services; that is, your service _is_ the product.
>
> Your markup should end up looking like:

> <h1 itemprop="name">Computer Repair Inc</h1>
> <h2 itemprop="name">Computer repair</h2>
>
> (You would flesh it out further, of course).
>
> Name aside, is there anything about "Service" vs "Product" that you
> feel you need to describe your offering that the current Offer /
> Product approach does not cover?
Possibly relevant excerpt from email Martin Hepp have send yesterday to
GoodRelations mailing list:
"[...] Also note that gr:ProductOrService is not disjoint from any other
class in GoodRelations, so it is perfectly okay to e.g. offer a
gr:Location for sale etc." --
http://ebusiness-unibw.org/pipermail/goodrelations/2013-December/000544.html

It makes sense to me that one can offer pretty much any Thing - Book,
Movie, Event, Place etc.

I wonder if one can just state that same resource has multiple types
just to use properties which support any of them?

With JSON-LD one could just write:
{
   "@id": "http://livingwithoutmoney.org/",
   "@type": [ "http://schema.org/Movie", "http://schema.org/Product" ],