Re: makesOffer should accept Service

On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Tyler Shuster
<tyler.herrshuster@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm just starting out here, but it seems to me that "makesOffer" should also
> accept Thing/Intangible/Service. Specifically, I work for a computer repair
> company and I want to be able to say that we provide a service, not a
> product. My markup under "schema.org/LocalBusiness" is `
> itemprop="makesOffer" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Service/"`.

Hi Tyler:

http://schema.org/makesOffer actually takes an Offer. Offer has an
itemOffered property, which in turn points at a Product. The
definition of http://schema.org/Product is that it includes commodity
services; that is, your service _is_ the product.

Your markup should end up looking like:

<h1 itemprop="name">Computer Repair Inc</h1>
<h2 itemprop="name">Computer repair</h2>

(You would flesh it out further, of course).

Name aside, is there anything about "Service" vs "Product" that you
feel you need to describe your offering that the current Offer /
Product approach does not cover?