Re: http://schema.org/CreativeWork: headline and name properties?

On Feb 3, 2014, at 5:46 PM, Dan Scott wrote:

> I think it makes a lot of sense to try and distill some best practices here, and hopefully reflect those into the documentation. Let's take a concert ticket as an example, which would probably be a multi-typed "schema:Product schema:MusicEvent" (and please correct me on any of these assumptions!)
>
> - name of the item
>
> Assuming we're using schema:name here, are we talking about the name of the MusicEvent or the name of the Product? (That is, "Katy Perry's Prismatic World Tour 2014" or "Ticket for Katy Perry's Prismatic World Tour 2014"). I'm guessing that in the case of a multi-typed Product it would be the latter.
>
> - title / headline

I think that for multi-typed entity you can only have the same name for the different roles of the object. A "convention" that relies on details of the syntactical representation is likely to break in a multi-syntax environment with RDFa, Microdata, and JSON-LD on the table.

If one wants to model different names for multiple roles of the same entity, I would define them as two entities and link them via sameAs. Then you have stated equivalence of the entities while you are still able to properly represent differing values for the same property.

This does of course not work if you use a reasoner that consolidates the facts from multiple representations of the same entity. But OWL-style reasoning is, IMO, not very relevant in processing schema.org data, at least as of today (and sameAs in schema.org is not formally equivalent to owl:sameAs anyway).

Martin

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen