Re: http://schema.org/CreativeWork: headline and name properties?

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 4:49 AM, Martin Hepp <
martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org> wrote:

> My two cents:
>
> I think we should consider to enhance the set of generic properties for
> textual meta-data at the top level, i.e.  to http://schema.org/Thing.
>
> For instance, in the products domain, we often have the need for marking
> up multiple textual descriptions, like

I think it makes a lot of sense to try and distill some best practices
here, and hopefully reflect those into the documentation. Let's take a
concert ticket as an example, which would probably be a multi-typed
"schema:Product schema:MusicEvent" (and please correct me on any of these
assumptions!)

> - name of the item

Assuming we're using schema:name here, are we talking about the name of the
MusicEvent or the name of the Product? (That is, "Katy Perry's Prismatic
World Tour 2014" or "Ticket for Katy Perry's Prismatic World Tour 2014").
I'm guessing that in the case of a multi-typed Product it would be the
latter.

> - title / headline

I'm not sure what "title/headline" means in the general context of a
Product, but perhaps you mean that if schema:name has been used for the
name of the item, then this would be the name of the concert itself ("Katy
Perry's Prismatic World Tour 2014"). To avoid minting a new generic
property, could we perhaps establish a convention of using
schema:alternateName here for the name of the second type in a multi-typed
Product description?

> - teaser text / abstract

schema:description says it should be a short description, so I think that's
a decent match; although of course you have the Product schema:description
(for example, brief terms of the ticket) vs. the MusicEvent
schema:description (for example, opening acts and start time) dichotomy to
address.

> - full description

I don't think we have a good candidate for this property yet at all.

> So ideally, we can find a small set of 3 - 5 generic properties for such
> variants that addresses the needs for a broad range of types.

I am very much in favour of using generic properties at the level of Thing;
that's what sparked my question about Articles and headlines in the first
place.

Getting away from Product, and going back to the specific case of Article,
I can't see and have not been shown any reason why the existing "name"
should not satisfy the "headline/title" requirement, and why the existing
"alternateName" should not satisfy the "alternativeHeadline" requirement
(An assertion has been made that the difference does matter to
publishers--but the "why" is still lacking).

We already use "name" for the title of most types in the CreativeWork
hierarchy. Article is just weird in this case: I suspect the IPTC rNews
properties were simply copied into schema.org without trying to use the
existing generic properties for that purpose.

That said, if someone can show a working site that uses name +
alternateName + headline in usefully distinct ways within the same Article,
and we can then update the Article/headline/alternativeHeadline
documentation to guide the usage of those properties accordingly, I
*promise* I'll be forever more quiet on this topic!