Re: schema.org property proposal: workPerformed

Hi Dan,

On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 9:09 PM, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com> wrote:

> On 6 April 2014 18:36, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com> wrote:
> > Your thoughts welcomed on the idea of adding a workperformedEvent
> property.
> >
> > https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/workPerformedEvent
>
> Apologies, I meant to write and link:
> https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/workPerformed
> rather than workPerformedEvent. This is a link *from* an Event to a
> CreativeWork.
>
> Also - I was just chatting with Richard Wallis about this and the
> bibextend work.
>
> What I want to do next to move those along is bundle together (for
> broad consistency review) a few culture/bibliographic related
> proposals into a single test build. This doesn't mean they all need to
> be added at same time or 100% integrated, but should help flag up any
> obvious problems.

Nice to see more things progressing in this domain!

I've made a test build using the new codebase that has the Periodicals
> etc proposal plus this workPerformed proposal plus VisualArtwork,
> available as
>
> http://sdo-culture-bundle.appspot.com/PublicationVolume
> http://sdo-culture-bundle.appspot.com/Periodical

Like others said in another thread (and as can be expected, being a part of
the SchemaBibEx group), I'm glad to see this proposal moving forward.

(It would be nice to see the BIBO mappings from the proposal as well, both
in prose and in RDFS if possible.)

> http://sdo-culture-bundle.appspot.com/workPerformed (bad html layout
> noted)

As you said, this is a good way to connect events to general (cultural)
domain descriptions.

> http://sdo-culture-bundle.appspot.com/VisualArtwork

Ah, this is interesting! A while ago I touched on the topic of a "missing"
Image base class for schema:Painting and schema:Photograph on the
SchemaBibEx list [1] (based on an exercise in marking up old images in my
web gallery using schema.org).

Is this class intended to be a base class for those image classes (and
perhaps schema:Movie)? And is there an ongoing proposal for this, or would
it make sense to work out additional details in the SchemaBibEx group? One
thing which doesn't seem entirely schema-esque about "Visual" is the level
of abstraction. Given what Guha recently explained in a NISO session [2]
about avoiding abstract classes like Agent, I would expect something like
schema:Image to be appear prior to this class.. Just a thought. (Even
BibFrame, which (arguably) aims for more granular and academic definitions
than schema.org, has a StillImage class [3], with nothing more abstract
above.)

(In any case, I did miss a foaf:Image equivalent in schema.org when doing
that gallery, as neither my old Amiga pics nor pencil drawings are
paintings. ;) Of course, I used foaf:Image, but don't really expect search
engines to grok that (yet..). So it would be great to see such a class,
whether named VisualArtwork or something more concrete.)

Cheers,
Niklas

[1]:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-schemabibex/2014Feb/0040.html
[2]: http://www.niso.org/news/events/2014/virtual/semantic/
[3]: http://bibframe.org/vocab/StillImage

This doesn't have examples yet, and there are some overlaps with