Re: Proposal: Audiobook

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 05:11:22PM +0200, Martin Hepp wrote:
>This may be a bit off-topic, but for the commercial aspects of AudioBooks, I would strongly prefer to use / reuse http://schema.org/Offer. There should be no need for major extensions for typical commercial patterns. One minor thing: In GoodRelations (and hence schema.org), Product is not disjoint to any other core class, which makes it possible to offer also Places, Corporations, and accordingly AudioBooks.
>
>While this is conceptually no problem, we will have to point users to this fact once other types than Product become relevant for commerce scenarios.
>
>There are several solutions for that:
>
>1. A simple solution would be to change the range of schema:itemOffered from schema:Product to schema:Product OR schema:Thing (this is of course semantically equivalent to just schema:Thing but would point developers to the fact that it is valid to use other types for the objects an offer refers to).
>
>2. Even simpler would be to change the definition of schema:itemOffered  and add "Other types than Product can also be used where appropriate, e.g. Place or Corporation).
>
>3. We could encourage the use of multiple types in such cases, like schema:Product and schema:AudioBook. The nice thing is that many properties of schema:Product are useful once an entity serves as a product, like the product IDs. However, this clean approach is conceptually a bit more complex.
>
>I am in favor of #2 (or #1), which will also valid in RDFS semantics, since as soon as you use an entity this way, it is implicit that this entity is also a schema:Product.

Hmm. What I've been doing to date is your approach #3. I confess to
generally being willing to trade off a bit of additional conceptual
complexity for a clean implementation. And it's not only relevant for
commerce scenarios!

http://stuff.coffeecode.net/schema.org/evergreen/eg_15.html is an
example that I took back in August and marked up in RDFa with
typeof="MusicAlbum Product". The Evergreen and Koha library systems
adopted this approach and are set to publish this kind of RDFa by
default in their next major releases.