Re: Proposal: Audiobook

This may be a bit off-topic, but for the commercial aspects of AudioBooks, I would strongly prefer to use / reuse http://schema.org/Offer. There should be no need for major extensions for typical commercial patterns. One minor thing: In GoodRelations (and hence schema.org), Product is not disjoint to any other core class, which makes it possible to offer also Places, Corporations, and accordingly AudioBooks.

While this is conceptually no problem, we will have to point users to this fact once other types than Product become relevant for commerce scenarios.

There are several solutions for that:

1. A simple solution would be to change the range of schema:itemOffered from schema:Product to schema:Product OR schema:Thing (this is of course semantically equivalent to just schema:Thing but would point developers to the fact that it is valid to use other types for the objects an offer refers to).

2. Even simpler would be to change the definition of schema:itemOffered  and add "Other types than Product can also be used where appropriate, e.g. Place or Corporation).

3. We could encourage the use of multiple types in such cases, like schema:Product and schema:AudioBook. The nice thing is that many properties of schema:Product are useful once an entity serves as a product, like the product IDs. However, this clean approach is conceptually a bit more complex.

I am in favor of #2 (or #1), which will also valid in RDFS semantics, since as soon as you use an entity this way, it is implicit that this entity is also a schema:Product.

Martin

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen