Re: Proposal: Audiobook

Hi Dan,

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Dan Scott <dan@coffeecode.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 07:47:54AM -0700, Aaron Bradley wrote:
>
>> I think this is a type whose time has come.
>>
>> I wonder, though, whether an "Audiobook" type should encompass - or at
>> least try to account for - audio dramas.  That is a dramatization rather
>> than a reading of a book, or an original audio drama, such as one commonly
>> encounters on public radio broadcasters like the BBC.
>>
>> Really the only property that would need to be re-examined in this light
>> is
>> "readBy", because of the difference between a "reading" and a
>> "performance."
>>
>> For both audio books and audio dramas, the existing property performer [1]
>> seems well-suited to the task.  And even looking just at the type
>> "AudioBook" it seems that "readBy" is an unnecessarily more specific
>> version of "performer" (for example, there is no "actor" property for
>> TheatreEvent [2]).
>>

> I am sympathetic to this perspective. There is a vast set of potential
> types of contributions to creative works that the current schema.org
> vocabulary does not capture. For example, the long list of credits in
> any given movie contains many different roles such as gaffer, key grip,
> dressmaker, etc (http://www.imdb.com/title/**tt0111161/fullcredits<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111161/fullcredits>for
> example). Distinguishing these various types of contribution
> is worthwhile, but I'm sure we don't want to expand
> http://schema.org/CreativeWork or its children to have named properties
> for all of these possibilities.
>
> So, to kick an idea around, what if the range of "contributor" and
> "performer" included a new type, "Contributor", which would consist of
> two new properties:
>
> * participant (range: Organization, Person)
> * contribution (range: http://schema.org/Contribution (new type with an
>   external enumeration)
>
> For the external enumeration, we could point to an existing vocabulary
> like http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/**relators.html<http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/relators.html>;
> this list includes many
> types of contributions beyond what schema.org currently details, but it
> is also missing a number just from the one film credit example above.
> Alternately, we could go the ProductOntology route and use wikipedia
> types like http://www.productontology.**org/id/Dressmaker<http://www.productontology.org/id/Dressmaker>and
> http://www.productontology.**org/id/Gaffer_(filmmaking)<http://www.productontology.org/id/Gaffer_(filmmaking)>-- I suppose these
> contribution types fall under "services", which explains why they're
> mapped and enumerated. That said,
> http://www.productontology.**org/id/Narrator<http://www.productontology.org/id/Narrator>redirects to "Narrative" (per
> wikipedia), so PTO isn't a perfect option either. Would a union of both
> external enumerations be possible (or does someone have a better
> existing vocab in mind)?

> [...]

Surely worth considering. So you didn't waste my bandwidth at least. :)

I would prefer a direct description using multiple properties though. Like:

http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/relators/"
       typeof="Audiobook">
      Read by:

(Of course, I also would like a future when using only lcrel:nrt was
possible, due to having it declared as rdfs:subPropertyOf sdo:contributor.
And by possible I mean the search engines using such information. Today,
lcrel:nrt is already declared as rdfs:subPropertyOf dc11:contributor. Which
at least could have a formal relation to sdo:contributor (today there is
[1]).)

Though if you'd like to investigate corresponding qualified associations, I
recommend looking at the PROV vocabulary, especially
prov:qualifiedAssociation [2]. (Well, glancing at it and pondering if there
are portions that could fit the scope of schema.org.)

Cheers,
Niklas

[1]: https://raw.github.com/dcmi/schema.org/master/mappings_schema.org.xml
[2]: http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-o/#qualifiedAssociation