Re: [a11y-metadata-project] Re: Schema.org accessibility proposal Review...

Sorry, the meaning is a bit entwined with the threading structure and I
can't find
an easy way to separate it from the thread - I'm responding to Chaals'
point on the interpretation of multiple accessMode tags.

>>> Yes, but...

>> Chaals wrote:
>>
>>> Yep. But that has an example which I'll use:
>>>
>>> A movie with captions and extended audio description would be encoded as
>>> follows
>>>
>>> My first impression is that if the video has good audio description,
>>> then claiming it has accessMode "visual" seems wrong, since you don't
>>> need to see it. Likewise, since it is captioned, it seems you don't need
>>> to hear it.
>>>
>>> So it doesn't have a single *required* accessMode. On the other hand,
>>> you need to *either* see (clearly enough) or hear, in order to get the
>>> content.
>>
>> The interpretation we had in AfA 3.0 of each property like this was
>> that each specified not "accessMode required" but instead "accessMode
>> available".  Did this project take a different interpretation ?
>
> I got that impression by reading the best practices guide Gerardo
> pointed to above:
> <http://www.a11ymetadata.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/A11yMetadataProjectBestPracticesGuide_V.6.pdf>
>

>> I haven't yet read the rest of this because I'm trying to focus on the
>> same ISO meeting Chaals is in (but will do so) - this interpretation
>> is so crucial as to change the whole emphasis
>
> Indeed.
>
> On the other hand, if we don't take the view that an accessMode is
> required, I dont understand the logic that lets us match a resource to a
> user.

This is very subtle and it depends how the information is encoded in
accessModes.
My interpretation of this particular tagging

would be

The entire information content of the resource is available in "visual"
AND the entire information content is available in "auditory" AND the
entire information content is available in "audioDescription" AND the
entire information content is available in "captions".

We would then look for a preference that says which of the available
accessModes can a user consume.

This particular tagging does seem unlikely (I cannot imagine a resource
in which "the entire information content" is available in all of these
types). More commonly in my experience some information is available in
some types and some in others but there is not complete overlap. Maybe
there need to be separate practices for each accessMode, I'm not sure. I
have lamented for years that the practices are not well documented
anywhere so this is a good place to do that and these discussions need
to happen.

Does this interpretation make logical sense to you Chaals ?

andy heath
axelafa.com
DiversityNet

>> so I wanted to reply quickly on this one point.
>>
>> andy
>> axelrod access for all
>> DiversityNet
>> http://axelafa.com