Re: [a11y-metadata-project] Re: Schema.org accessibility proposal Review...

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 12:49:32 -0000, Andy Heath
<andyheath@axelrod.plus.com> wrote:

>>> I agree and this is the design.  A single resource can require one or
>>> more accessMode(s).
>>
>> Yes, but...
>>
>>> … the accessMode property describes "Human sensory perceptual system
>>> or cognitive faculty through which a person may process or perceive
>>> information." […]
>>> We have also published a best practices and an implementation guide on
>>> the use of accessMode at:
>>> <http://www.a11ymetadata.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/A11yMetadataProjectBestPracticesGuide_V.6.pdf>
>>>
>>> <https://wiki.benetech.org/display/a11ymetadata/Practical+Properties+Guide>
>>>

> Chaals wrote:
>
>> Yep. But that has an example which I'll use:
>>
>> A movie with captions and extended audio description would be encoded as
>> follows
>>
>> My first impression is that if the video has good audio description,
>> then claiming it has accessMode "visual" seems wrong, since you don't
>> need to see it. Likewise, since it is captioned, it seems you don't need
>> to hear it.
>>
>> So it doesn't have a single *required* accessMode. On the other hand,
>> you need to *either* see (clearly enough) or hear, in order to get the
>> content.
>
> The interpretation we had in AfA 3.0 of each property like this was that
> each specified not "accessMode required" but instead "accessMode
> available".  Did this project take a different interpretation ?

I got that impression by reading the best practices guide Gerardo pointed
to above:
<http://www.a11ymetadata.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/A11yMetadataProjectBestPracticesGuide_V.6.pdf>

> I haven't yet read the rest of this because I'm trying to focus on the
> same ISO meeting Chaals is in (but will do so) - this interpretation is
> so crucial as to change the whole emphasis

Indeed.

On the other hand, if we don't take the view that an accessMode is
required, I dont understand the logic that lets us match a resource to a
user.