Implementing schema.org at a major academic publisher

From: Paul Watson <lazarus@lazaruscorporation.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 18:10:15 +0100
To: "public-vocabs@w3.org" <public-vocabs@w3.org>
Hi

Although so far I've been contributing to this list as an artist wanting
to create Schema.org/VisualArtwork for use on my art website, I am also
the Web & Application Development Manager for a major academic
publishing company (publishing books & journals in Humanities,
Social/Behavioural Sciences, Science, Technology, & Medicine).

I've managed to generate some initial interest in implementing
schema.org with RDFa across the hundreds of websites we run, and now I
need to put together a detailed proposal to get the go-ahead.

I've already included the benefits in terms of enriched search engine
listings (particularly when using the Review and Product/Offering types)
and marking up breadcrumb menus.

I'd like to ask the help of this list to provide some of the following:

1. Does anyone have any real-world examples of websites using the
Schema.org/AlignmentObject type (the properties from the LRMI
specification)?
2. Can anyone give me some examples of how implementing the above
LRMI/Schema.org properties will benefit a website hosting learning
resources?
3. Since our journal articles are already in Google Scholar etc, what
would be a tangible benefit of marking them up using
http://schema.org/ScholarlyArticle ?
4. How would our websites selling academic books/ebooks benefit if they
were marked up with the http://schema.org/Book markup ?

Any help would be gratefully received!

Paul