Re: SKOS proposal - labels and notes

From: Wallis,Richard <Richard.Wallis@oclc.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 08:44:35 +0000
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>
CC: Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>, W3C Web Schemas Task Force <public-vocabs@w3.org>
> http://schema.org/name is currently defined as 'The name of the item.'
> (you might argue it should say 'a name' not 'the name', but setting
> that aside for now)

Yes set it aside into the 'tweaks we need to do in the next update' pile.
> To the extent concepts have names at all, I'd
> guess their preferred labels would all be names.

Or at least close enough for a mapping to schema:name.

> If not, i.e. if every preferred label of a concept is also a name, and
> if we still want to maintain an explicit notion of 'preferred label',
> then this seems a good candidate for describing as a sub-property /
> super-property relationship. We've used that notion already in the
> Action design, to relate focussed action-type-specific properties to
> the broader, vaguer properties on http://schema.org/Action. It might
> help here too (even though schema.org term navigation doesn't offer
> any support for sub-property links yet).

I think this makes sense - a preferred label/name is still a name.

Also in multilingual world a thing (and a concept) can not only have several names, it can have several preferred names - potentially one per language.

~Richard.