Re: On linking vocabularies (Was: SKOS for schema.org proposal for discussion)

From: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 11:25:49 +0200
To: "<public-vocabs@w3.org>" <public-vocabs@w3.org>
Hi Jeff,

I think Niklas' original email was about to assert equivalences between classes or properties between SKOS and schema.org, not equivalences at the level of instances (of skos: or schema:Concept).

Now, there's some value discussing how to represent what in SKOS is represented as skos:exactMatch (at the level of Concept instances). As you hint, this one was introduced because the strict semantics of owl:sameAs didn't fit the kind of softer equivalence cases we wanted to capture. And be compatible with a couple of constraints.

But in fact schema:sameAs [1] is quite different from owl:sameAs, and it could be good. In fact at the time Jean can with the proposal I was involved with, [1] was not existing. It may be worth dropping a line in the new wiki page for the proposal, saying whether we regard schema:sameAs a good property to use for skos:exactMatch.

(this in practice would amount to declare
skos:exactMatch rdfs:subProperty schema:sameAs
which brings us back to the original linking level that Niklas wanted ;-) )

Cheers,

Antoine

[1] http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/sameAs