Re: SKOS for schema.org proposal for discussion

On Oct 9, 2013, at 4:31 PM, Ed Summers wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com> wrote:
>> Merely saying that a property expects an URL doesn't really cut it,
>> since most non-literal-valued properties can usefully take URLs...
>
> Can you (briefly) describe how it doesn't "cut it" to allow something
> like schema:occupationalCategory to point at a resource using a URL?

Three use-cases:

1. The site may not be able to include the authoritative URI of such a concept because it may lack the respective data.
2. Search engines will typically index only content from HTML-based resources, so they will not dereference such URLs and thus lack hierarchy information etc.
3. A vocabulary from the same site / domain / namespace may be more useful for a search engine due to the provenance information - the engine could apply a wealth of techniques for ranking and filtering to the vocabulary (e.g. consider only vocabularies that reach a certain PageRank threshold etc.).

I do not know how Google works, but a assume that a category URL will in most cases just be a string for Google, while a pointer to another schema.org element on the same site may allow more advanced processing. (Note that Google is a largely distributed system, so if you can limit the scope of relevant data to such from the same site, you can distribute its storage and processing with ease).

Martin

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen