Re: Ease of adoption

Hi Laura:
First: I hope the subscribers of this list don't regard the whole discussion off-topic.

On Jul 29, 2013, at 7:18 PM, Dawson, Laura wrote:

> It occurs to me that there are also parallel arguments regarding DRM.
>
> "Making my content more accessible makes my content more accessible! OH NO
> WHATEVER SHALL WE DO?"

I think it is also important to tell adopters of Web vocabularies for marking up content that there is and will likely be no way to exert fine-grained control over what usages of the data are permitted, e.g. in the form of machine-readable licenses. That will not happen, because otherwise determining *what they are allowed to do with your data* will become as complicated for search engines and others as it was it was to *extract* it previously.

Thus, I am pretty sure that the big search engines will put a lot of effort into keeping up robots.txt as the red line between allowed and forbidden usage of Web content.

Best

Martin

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group