Re: Redefine and reuse?

I have a history of working in a large public library system for 7 years.

In general, Libraries, just like the Job Market proposal and others coming
up like Real Estate, are all nice special domains with wonderful quirks and
needs.  But their needs overlap other needs and what is most important is
to discover those overlaps in intent and very close meaning.

Libraries should be treated as a separate domain space because of their
special needs.  I would begin thinking about the larger super-properties
that would encompass GLAM efforts themselves, but that would be it, I would
not try to model GLAM, instead just the L in it.  Schema.org is going to
need that going into the long-tail domains.

I would not re-use properties that do not fit the model "exactly" or "very
closely".  Instead, I would begin modeling New Properties and Types, and
extend off of existing Schema.org schema.

I would consider it to be an unwise choice to try to re-use or
re-appropriate existing Schema.org Types and Properties that do not fit
well into the special domains.  Re-use where it can be accomplished without
redefining, 1st.  Then bring up potential sticking points with existing
Schema.org Types and Properties for help from the community and then we can
circle back to gain deeper insight into potential merges, etc.

1st and foremost... Do not work in a silo.  Instead, work with the
community.

I would like to see a draft of ALL the possible Properties that could be
needed for Libraries (do not worry about GLAM yet) and put them up into the
Wiki as a work in progress proposal.  That way we can all work together.

--
-Thad
Thad on Freebase.com <http://www.freebase.com/view/en/thad_guidry>