Re: Proposal: Looking inside tables

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com> wrote:

> In my mind, I was sort of flipping things around...and telling a parser
> that the set of attributes are my own, or borrowed from Schema.org
>
> I was thinking along the lines of an "attribute set" being dictated by the
> vocab=
>
> So, in my example, the "category", "class", and "rowstype" attributes are
> assumed from Schema.org ... where each would be assumed to mean
> schema.org/category , schema.org/class , schema.org/rowstype  without
> having to fully express each one.  I was thinking having the vocab= would
> mean that all the attributes expressed inside the <table> tag would be
> coming from whatever was on the right side of the = equals sign.

That would not work for a few reasons. First the class attribute is already
defined in HTML, so how would the parser know whether the class attribute
should be ignored (if used in the CSS sense), or taken into account (
schema.org table extension).

Secondly, this would not validate.

Finally, that's just not how RDFa and microdata work: they each have their
own attributes inside which you add tokens corresponding to
schema.orgterms... so this would be a major departure from the already
standardized
formats for expressing structured data in HTML... The way I understand this
proposal is that it's a DSL on top of RDFa/microdata, but it remains fully
compatible with HTML. It would require parsers to have a specific
extensions to support this markup (one could imagine a preprocessor
distributing the right attributes to the row HTML element so that a regular
parser can parse the data).

Steph.