Re: New proposal: health & medical extensions to schema.org

From: Aaron Brown <abbrown@google.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 17:33:31 -0400
To: Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com>
Cc: public-vocabs@w3.org
Hi Thad and all,

A couple of updates. First we've rewritten the descriptions for
MedicalTrial <http://schemaorg-medicalext.appspot.com/MedicalTrial>, and
the site to increase clarity here. Let me know if you have further
suggestions on this.

We've also clarified the description of adverseOutcome and
severeAdverseOutcome in
other comments on this thread, and updated the formatting of the
examples to be a bit clearer regarding nested <span>s.

Thanks for the input so far!

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Aaron Brown <abbrown@google.com> wrote:

> The example you cite below would best modeled as a MedicalTrial.
> Basically, a MedicalTrial is a controlled clinical trial in the traditional
> sense (people recruited to study a particular intervention, divided into
> treatment and control groups), whereas MedicalStudy is a more general
> umbrella type that covers these and other kinds of studies, including
> uncontrolled observational studies<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observational_study> (MedicalObservationalStudy)
> like the Nurses' Health Study where a group of people are observed over a
> period of time.
> Does that help clarify? I'll look at making the documentation crisper here.
> --Aaron
> On Mon May 14 20:01:21 GMT-400 2012, Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Which type to use for an instance such as:
>> http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00587600?spons=%22Mayo+Clinic%22&spons_ex=Y&rank=7
>> Mayo Clinic has 938 trials listed there currently, which I think could
>> also be typed as a MedicalStudy<http://schemaorg-medicalext.appspot.com/MedicalStudy>
>> .
>> A bit confusing if each of those 938 listed would be either a
>> MedicalStudy <http://schemaorg-medicalext.appspot.com/MedicalStudy> or a
>> MedicalTrial <http://schemaorg-medicalext.appspot.com/MedicalTrial>.
>> Does the mere fact that a Thing HAS A clinicaltrials.gov Identifer make
>> it one over the other ?  It seems given your MedicalStudy description that
>> those instances would be a MedicalStudy.  Example from above : NCT00587600
>> Perhaps just more documentation is needed for Medical Trial <http://schemaorg-medicalext.appspot.com/MedicalTrial>itself to
>> make the differences more apparent ?
>> --
>> -Thad
>> http://www.freebase.com/view/en/thad_guidry

Aaron Brown | Senior Product Manager | Google, Inc. | New York, NY