schema.org HTML doctype

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 22:54:55 +0200
To: public-vocabs@w3.org
It has been suggested by a few folk that the schema.org site ought to
have an HTML5 doctype.

ie. <!DOCTYPE html>

Currently the top of pages looks like

"<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<head>
    <title>..."

AFAIK nothing in the site's main page content is heavily XMLish,
although my preference is that each page ought to at least parse as
well-formed XML.

My inclination (and I have no strong expertise on the current
subtleties of this choice) would be to switch to the simpler <!DOCTYPE
html> doctype. Also to lose the xmlns= declaration, and then per
http://www.w3.org/TR/html-polyglot/#language-attributes to use both
xml:lang and lang, so the document has both an XML and HTML reading.
How does this sound? Am I missing any 'gotchas'?

Feedback welcomed.