Re: Flattening Microdata

I believe this is expected behavior because, indeed, you restrict properties to those allowed by the declared itemtype.

 declarations are a little problematic in this regard insofar as they
are self-closing, and so don't permit an itemscope to be declared beyond
 that <meta> content.

This...
</head>

... results in this RSST result - is this the desired behavior Evan?

Item

Type: http://schema.org/newsarticle
   headline =
A Test Headline
   creator = Item(
1
)

Item
1
Type: http://schema.org/person
   name =
Evan S Sandhaus
   url =
http://sandha.us

Though
 I'm not certain <div> and <span> are permitted within
<head> (I think not) - though no validation errors occur when they
 are used.

A note from personal experience (re NewsArticle)
is that I've found itemscope declarations in the <html> tag (and
markup a property in the content that's not permitted for that
itemtype.  At least I've found myself rewriting a lot of code because of
 an <html itemscope itemtype="WebPage"> declaration that prevented
 me from marking up properties that within the scope of WebPage (e.g.
Event).

(You get two of these Evan as I forgot to reply all:)
________________________________

 interested in 'flattening' schema.org object markup into the
<head> element using <meta> elements.  In theory one should
be able to use the "itemref" and "id" attributes to 'flatten' an object
hierarchy into a set of metatags - but in practice this leads to
unexpected results.

>For example:
>

>Suppose
 we have a NewsArticle with the headline 'A Test Headline' that has
a creator that is a Person that has the name 'Evan S Sandhaus' and
the url 'http://sandha.us';.  Here is an example of how to flatten that out in the <head> using id and itemref:

><head>
><!-- Article properties in global scope -->
>

><!-- Author Properties Flattened with itemref and ids -->
></head>
>

>So that's the theory.
>

>In practice, however, both the Rich Snippets Tool and the Python microdata libraries I'm using locally (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/microdata) both insist on adding the creator-specific properties to both the scope of both the creator and the NewsItem.
>

>More concretely - my local tools give me this:
>[{
>    "id": "the_article_id",
>    "properties": {
>        "creator": [{
>            "id": "the_creator_id",
>            "properties": {
>                "name": ["Evan S Sandhaus"],
>                "url": ["http://sandha.us";]
>            },
>            "type": "http://schema.org/Person";
>        }],
>        "headline": ["A Test Headline"],
>        "name": ["Evan S Sandhaus"],
>        "url": ["http://sandha.us";]
>    },
>    "type": "http://schema.org/NewsItem";
>}]
>

>And the Rich Snippets tool gives me this:
>Item
>
>Type: http://schema.org/newsarticle
>headline = A Test Headline
>creator = Item( 1 )
>name = Evan S Sandhaus
>url = http://sandha.us
>
>Item 1
>
>Type: http://schema.org/person
>name = Evan S Sandhaus
>url = http://sandha.us
>

>So
 the question is: is this expected behavior?  If so, is there anything I
 could do besides this to "flatten" the markup into the <head>
element?