Re: @itemid and URL properties in schema.org

On 04/11/11 21:17, Jeni Tennison wrote:
> On 4 Nov 2011, at 19:31, Jason Douglas wrote:
>> So to throw a strawman out there, maybe we could:
>> 	• State on schema.org that Thing/url is equivalent to itemid and either is accepted.
> If schema.org does this, it should also state what happens when both are specified and they clash. Perhaps they should be treated as aliases with the @itemid being the canonical URL?

I was in favour of greater use of @itemid, though I don't think
automatically assuming that url is an alias of @itemid would really
clear anything up.  One problem that I could see if you used @itemid as
an alias of URL is that many people would feel that the natural fit for
@itemid may not be a url but an isbn, isan, issn, etc number.  This
would be correct for @itemid as it was intended, but of course no good
for a url.

Because of the risk of clashes and repeating yourself, it may be better
to explicitly state that it is ignored, as any parser that knows about
the schema.org vocabulary will know where to get the correct data, and
any that doesn't wouldn't know what to do with the data that it found
identified by the @itemid, so would be no further forward.

Lawrence

--
vLife Systems Ltd
Registered Office: The Meridian, 4 Copthall House, Station Square, Coventry, CV1 2FL