Re: using web-scale identifiers in microdata

From: Jason Ronallo <jronallo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 14:19:21 -0500
To: Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com>
Cc: public-vocabs <public-vocabs@w3.org>
On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com> wrote:
> Identifiers (realist perspective identifiers) are really what you need.
>  Oregano means different things to different folks in different parts of the
> world.  A Thing With Many Names with 1 identifier is a good approach.  I am
> not sure how a web developer from Puerto Rico designing a culinary site
> would do this in microdata either.
>
> Your example of Oregano, the ingredient from a realist perspective "The
> dried leaves of the plant species Origanum vulgare" is not the same as
> Oregano, the ingredient from a realist perspective "The dried leaves of the
> plant species Plectranthus amboinicus, that is also commonly called
> 'Orégano' or 'Orégano Brujo' or 'Cuban Oregano' if you live in Cuba, Puerto
> Rico, etc."  Microdata deals with generalist views very easily, but I have
> yet to see Microdata deal with things specifically within a realist
> perspective, which seems straightforward with RDFa.

Thad, could you give the basic example rewritten in RDFa? That might
help me understand the point you're trying to make (which I'm not
certain is what I really am concerned with).

If I have a subject heading like "Oregano" which describes a book or
photograph and I have an identifier like
http://id.loc.gov/authorities/sh96005072#concept for that subject
heading, is there a simple way in microdata to say that when I use the
term "Oregano" as the value of an @itemprop that I mean
http://id.loc.gov/authorities/sh96005072#concept (or
info:lc/authorities/sh96005072)? I was just trying to use the recipe
example, since it had been given before when discussing what I thought
was a similar issue with using external identifiers for terms.

Jason