Re: What is W3C trying to accomplish?

"to standardize a universal open platform.."

We will have to detail what is covered by "standardize".

The minimum is just publishing a spec I guess.
In more official SDOs, the presence of formal tests and/or a certification
program is usually included as part of the standardization process.

IMO the details of "standardize" should at least talk about "running code"
(ietf), candidate rec (w3c).