Re: PROPOSAL: Incorporate the Veres One Non-Profit Foundation

On 07/06/2018 02:52 PM, dorothyg wrote:
> I believe one can register in multiple locations. Perhaps if Estonia
>  is very easy to register and maintain we could do both the US and
> Estonia to reduce the perception that this 'yet another' US owned and
> controlled initiative. Boring versus edgy? Tough call.

Interesting... we had considered dual locations US/Swiss, but when we
hit the revenue target. The reason being that money needs to be
collected and it may be best of a European organizations to collect
European fees and a US-based organization to collect US-based fees.

We had not considered dual locations early on. It does have the benefits
that Dorothy mentions... and it also raises more questions (and costs):

* Which one of those organizations is legally "in charge" of the
  network? For example, to which organization is the perpetual software
  license granted?
* Do the local laws allow the board of Governors to serve on the board
  of both organizations?
* What do we do about conflict of law between the countries where the
  organizations reside?
* Do we have someone local (a citizen) to help us make rapid progress?

There are certainly answers to all of those questions... I expect two
organizations will create more complexity when all we're trying to do
right now is get this particular plane in the air and then focus on
where home base will be after that.

I'll reach out to our Estonian colleagues and see if they can suggest a
path forward.

I also found what Michael said to be compelling...

Michael Weiß wrote:
> It takes about 10k USD to establish an Icelandic foundation and can
> apparently be formed entirely by foreigners. Reasons to think, that
> Iceland is on a good track can be found on https://en.immi.is/

We had not considered Iceland, but as Michael mentioned, it does make a
lot of sense (perhaps even more than Switzerland?). The price is right
as well.

Do we have anyone on this mailing list that has strong Icelandic
connections wrt. setting up non-profits there?

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches