Re: PROPOSAL: Incorporate the Veres One Non-Profit Foundation

 I believe one can register in multiple locations. Perhaps if Estonia is very easy to register and maintain we could do both the US and Estonia to reduce the perception that this 'yet another' US owned and controlled initiative. Boring versus edgy? Tough call.
best
    On Friday, 6 July 2018, 18:39:57 GMT, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

 On 07/06/2018 02:05 PM, Adam Lake wrote:
> Estonia is an option. Our perception was that when people think
> "nonprofit global public utility" that Estonia is probably not the
> first place they think of. We thought it would be an edgy decision to
> incorporate in Estonia. We're not trying to be edgy we're trying to
> be boring and consistent. However, Estonia is innovative when it
> comes to digital government services. There may be a lot of
> synergies between Veres One and the Estonian government.

Just a few thoughts on this particular item. I was the 10,000th
e-Resident in Estonia and have served on the Advisory Board of the
Estonian E-Residency Program:

https://twitter.com/e_residents/status/732915439584546820

https://medium.com/@tech.eu/estonias-ambitious-e-residency-program-is-gaining-traction-but-still-has-a-way-to-go-d471d235c6bf

The thought had occurred to us early in this process. In the end, as
Adam mentioned, we didn't think that Estonia has built the same global
reputation that Switzerland has for neutrality.

That is just one set of opinions, though... I encourage others to chime
in if they have strong feelings or counter-arguments wrt. Estonia in
particular. We could certainly use our connections there to incorporate
more easily than we could in Switzerland.

In any case, +1 to the original proposal of starting in the US and then
switching to a more neutral country when the financial trigger is reached.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches