Fw: [whatwg] Geolocation API Proposal

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 18:42:59 +1100
To: public-uwa@w3.org

This may be relevant to the UWA group.

----- Forwarded message from Aaron Boodman <aa@google.com> -----

From: Aaron Boodman <aa@google.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 23:36:59 -0800
To: WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>
Subject: [whatwg] Geolocation API Proposal

Hi all,

We're adding an API to Google Gears that will allow an application to
obtain (with permission) the user's current location.

Here's our current design:

http://code.google.com/p/google-gears/wiki/LocationAPI

We think there's a lot of potential for interesting applications with
an API like this. Some examples would be recommendations for nearby
restaurants, turn by turn directions, or city walking tours.

What do people think of adding something like this to a future version of HTML?

Thanks,

- a

----- End forwarded message -----

--