RE: DIAL roadmap

The harmonization of technologies such as DPE, DCCI, DDR and DCCI is on the agenda for the brief joint meeting of UWA and DD later this week. The impending production of a vocabulary by DD, and the release of a Simple API, will be very significant for this work. Adoption of the same vocabulary in a general purpose (pluggable) implementation of DIAL would be highly desirable, as it would clearly demonstrate the benefits of (eventually) having a common ontology.

---Rotan

________________________________

From: public-uwa-request@w3.org on behalf of Smith, Kevin, VF-Group
Sent: Mon 03/03/2008 11:13
To: dsr@w3.org; public-uwa@w3.org
Subject: DIAL roadmap

Hi Dave,

As mentioned in [1] I believe there is benefit to a version of DIAL which is not tied to XHTML2, and which adopts the 'plug-in' approach used by XSLT. This will facilitate usage as it does not require authors to use XHTML2, rather XHTML. An illustrative example is available at [1] (you will need to download all attachments including the images, which the archive has charmingly decided to render :)

[1] also supports José's proposal [2] for a common vocabulary for delivery ontology. For DIAL to be of use, there needs to be common DISelect expressions, so that if you express (e.g.) '$bearer=3G' then it is understood you are asking about the connection rate. I believe this is up for discussion this week as part of the joint delivery context ontology work with DDWG, and I would urge that this is a very important step which can harmonise DPE, DCCI, DDR Vocabulary and DISelect. With such a standard in place, we can proceed with DIAL/XSLT and define conformance for processors (i.e. resolve as per expressions defined in the delivery context vocabulary).

Best,
Kevin

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-uwa/2008Feb/0007.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-uwa/2008Feb/0004.html