DIAL roadmap

From: Smith, Kevin, VF-Group <Kevin.Smith@vodafone.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 12:13:55 +0100
To: <dsr@w3.org>, <public-uwa@w3.org>
Hi Dave,

As mentioned in [1] I believe there is benefit to a version of DIAL which is not tied to XHTML2, and which adopts the 'plug-in' approach used by XSLT. This will facilitate usage as it does not require authors to use XHTML2, rather XHTML. An illustrative example is available at [1] (you will need to download all attachments including the images, which the archive has charmingly decided to render :)

[1] also supports Josť's proposal [2] for a common vocabulary for delivery ontology. For DIAL to be of use, there needs to be common DISelect expressions, so that if you express (e.g.) '$bearer=3G' then it is understood you are asking about the connection rate. I believe this is up for discussion this week as part of the joint delivery context ontology work with DDWG, and I would urge that this is a very important step which can harmonise DPE, DCCI, DDR Vocabulary and DISelect. With such a standard in place, we can proceed with DIAL/XSLT and define conformance for processors (i.e. resolve as per expressions defined in the delivery context vocabulary).

Best,
Kevin

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-uwa/2008Feb/0007.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-uwa/2008Feb/0004.html