RE: Queries concerning DCCI

Hi Salil,

Let me see if I can help clear up something.

Your interpretation of the DCCI is broadly correct. An implementation of
the specification would enable access to device properties.

The specification is not an implementation report, so you cannot expect
to find anything in there about real-world implementations. This applies
to all W3C specifications.

A specification is only Recommended when at least two interoperable
implementations have been demonstrated to the W3C's satisfaction. This
is an exercise to verify that the specification is viable. There is no
insistence from W3C that any such implementations are available to the
public, either commercially or otherwise.

I am aware of the fact that at least one contributing member
organisation has implemented DCCI to demonstrate its viability. To my
knowledge, this implementation has not been presented in public.

The W3C does not generally provide tutorials, samples, emulators or
other implementation supports. That is what the rest of the community
does. Sometimes, for complicated specifications, a primer is also
written. The working groups themselves may occasionally gather some
useful information and feedback and make this available through the
various home pages and mailing lists (all searchable). However, the
membership and the W3C team itself is not adequately resourced to engage
in extensive implementation activities. This is why the W3C relies on
members and non-members (the public) to present implementations of
proposed specifications, prior to them being Recommended.

If the implementers of DCCI decide to release their work to the public,
I am sure this will be advantageous to the community who will build upon
it. Nevertheless, it is also advantageous for specifications to be
implemented from the ground up, so that there is not a dependency on a
single implementation source. The DCCI specification is available for
public viewing, and anyone (commercial, open source, enthusiast) is free
to use the specification as a guide for implementation, and to
subsequently present it to the W3C in support of that specification.

DCCI is relatively new, so there is not a lot out there yet. Hopefully
in time this situation will change.

Thank you for your interest. I am speaking only as a member of the UWA
and not on behalf of the UWA, so perhaps some of the people more closely
involved in this part of the UWA's work will also comment, and follow up
if you have further questions. I regret that I cannot offer you any
concrete pointers at this stage.

---Rotan.