Re: URIs, content adaptation, DISelect and XSLT

Hi all,

Smith, Kevin, VF-Group wrote:

> Of course,
> we can continue with DIAL which has great merits when aligned with the
> IDEAL datatypes, but I can see that now becoming more of a CMS/device
> aware engine language, with this XSLT approach providing a quick,
> modular add-on to existing content markup.

Indeed, the separation of concerns is the number 1 objection to
DISelect: if you see content adaptation as styling, then you'll see
DISelect as an heresy and will instead propose a content/style
separation à la CSS, but server style. (I don't think that the question
whether the engine is XSLT or any other language is particularly
relevant here.) Both mechanisms are so radically different that it's
hard to see how the "separated" approach could be explored in DISelect,
other than to mention it exists.

As for Dave's original question about pagination, I'm not sure how an
XPath function would work. Dave, could you send an example or two? One
way of doing it without a function is to enable pagination URI
parameters, like ?page=. Then when the browser requests
http://www.example.com, then the server which has decided to paginate
returns the first page of HTML, including a link to
http://www.example.com/?page=2. That seems to do the trick.

Max.