Re: Secure Chrome

Chris,

I would not characterize my comment as expressing "highly negative
sentiment." I'm just being pragmatic. If the "problem" is abuse and
fraud in the context of online services built on top of the Web model,
then authentication is only one part of the overall security problem.

For example, what about "access control?" It depends on authentication,
but even if the authentication is perfect, there are still ways for an
authenticated party to gain unauthorized access to information or
services (e.g., privilege escalation). Another example is
non-repudiation where authentication again plays a role, but cannot by
itself prevent a party from repudiating a transaction, or details of a
transaction.

Authentication also depends on practices and procedures for enrolling
users, organizations and Web sites that can be attacked and compromised.
The result might be that an illegitimate party is erroneously enrolled,
which would allow them to authenticate as though they were legitimate,
no matter how effective the authentication measures might be.

The larger point I was trying to make, and that Phillip had already
stated quite well, is that we need to improve on the existing solutions,
even though we will never fully solve all of the problems. We just need
to make things get better, hopefully much better. And to that end,
"effective *mutual* authentication" is very important.

...Chuck