Re: Publishing WebVTT as a Proposed Recommendation (CfC)

My high level review question here is: are all the features implemented?
This matches the intent of the CR exit criteria.

## Regions and positioning

In our call on Thursday I satisfied myself that the region and positioning
test failures weren’t a reason to block progression, because the use of
lines with numbers in the int number space is supported and doesn’t cause
any particular problems, and the feature _is_ implemented in a way that
would work with those numbers. Gary took the action to create tests that
verify that.

* I would like positive confirmation that the int number space tests for
lines do indeed pass on at least two implementations before we go ahead
and request PR publication.

## Text wrap: balance

We did not discuss this feature on Thursday.

The initialisation of the text-wrap CSS property to the value “balance" is
a MUST requirement in the specification (§7.4). However the implementation
report shows the relevant test is failing because:

> This is failing because `text-wrap: balance;` isn't available in any
>browser.

This is of some concern in itself; it is even more concerning that this is
a normative requirement and it is dependent on the definition in CSS Text
Module Level 4, which is at WD. caniuse.com doesn’t report any results for
text-wrap. Web Platform Tests does not appear to include any tests for CSS
text -> text-wrap.

My assessment of this is that we have a mandatory feature for which there
is no suitable normative reference available and no evidence of it ever
being implemented.

Proceeding with this as-is would surely be against the spirit of the CR
exit criteria; I’m struggling to imagine how we could explain it in any
reasonable way.

* I think the only action to take is to mark the use of text-wrap: balance
as at-risk and remove it.

Nigel

>>> https://www.w3.org/wiki/TimedText/WebVTT_Implementation_Report