Re: Document Coordinate System intepretation

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 11:19 PM, Pierre-Anthony Lemieux <pal@sandflow.com>
wrote:

> Hi Glenn,
>
> > hmm, it is the aspect ratio of the physical pixels that PAR applies to
>
> What do you mean by "physical pixels"? If the DAR and SAR are those of
> the root container, then the PAR is also that of the root container,
> not the physical display. In other words, both SAR and PAR apply to
> the logical pixels of the coordinate system, completely independently
> of the physical pixels.

I mean quasi-physical pixels, i.e., PAR pixels in the DAR space.

Consider that all SAR pixels (pixels in the sample space) are square, then
PAR scales such square (logical) pixel to a possibly non-square DAR pixel
(pixels in the output space). Since we use "physical" in PAR, then when I
refer to physical pixels here I am referring to whatever output pixels are
produced by TTML rendering. These are quasi-physical in the sense that the
still need to be mapped (possibly multiple times) to an eventual dot
pattern on a physical display.

> > what I mean is that width divided by height selected by the document
> processing
> > context must equal SAR, and that SAR * PAR must still equal DAR;
>
> The only thing the document processing context can control by setting
> the extent in pixel is the SAR. The DAR and the PAR are computed
> according to the algorithm specified in Annex H, so no need to repeat
> it.

Agreed. It is redundant to include "and PAR" in that cited text.