Re: TTML2 Editing Process

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
wrote:

> From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> Date: Tuesday, 10 May 2016 17:07
>
> On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 9:29 AM, Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> Date: Monday, 9 May 2016 23:58

>>> The echidna process requires a group decision [3]. So the Editor or
>> Chair can't simply pull the trigger. Again, by lazy consensus, if a team
>> member has not objected to a prior PR merge, then consensus is present.
>>
>> [3]
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI-7mQUTiXI&src_vid=0SRonXlRHXk&annotation_id=annotation_880483967&feature=iv
>>

> Oops. I appear to have pasted in a link from a FB thread from yesterday
> rather than the echidna documentation. Please disregard this link, and use
> the following instead:
>
> [3] https://github.com/w3c/echidna/wiki/How-to-use-Echidna#group-decision
>

> We had this discussion and already made the decision. It was recorded at
> the end of the Tools agenda item on day 1 of our Sapporo meeting - see
> https://www.w3.org/2015/10/28-tt-minutes.html#item05

I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you saying that we can ignore
echidna's requirement to refer to a group decision? If so, then what
publishing process shall we use?

>>> It is still amortized as if RTC were used. The only difference is that

>>> I'd be interested to know how group members feel about this. If there
>>> are no objections to this way of working then it can indeed work.
>>>

>> This is how all the work on TTML1 and TTML2 were done to date. I agree it
>> may not have been documented well, but it was certainly discussed and
>> agreed upon long ago. So this isn't nothing new.
>>
>> What is new, is that the group membership has changed in recent years,
>> and we haven't managed to fully articulate the principles that we were
>> operating under, including that of lazy consensus.
>>
>> I thought it appropriate now to document this fact to avoid confusion in
>> the future.
>>

> Yes, it's good to clarify.
>

>>> The potential difficulty is that it makes it harder for keen but busy
>>> people to track which PRs they need to review, since some of them may
>>> already be closed.
>>>

>> They should have the initial PR creation email notification in their
>> mailbox. They can use that as an index of what to review.
>>

> Not everyone likes to get notifications.

They are free to use other means to keep tabs on activity.

> Another useful thing we could do is add Consensus and No Consensus labels
> and use them on Pull Requests – github is good at filtering PRs and issues
> on label, so it would be a low cost mechanism independent of merge state.

There is no need for a Consensus label, since that state is present
implicitly by lazy consensus rules. If however, an objection is recorded on
a PR before its merge, then we could apply an Non-Consensus label to record
explicit non-consensus.

If an objection appears post-merge, then a new issue should be entered,
referring to the original issue or PR. That follow-on issue could have an
Objection label.