RE: deprecating markerMode

Hi Nigel,

I don't recall any debate on the mailing lists.

When using SMPTE timecode *in the context of subtitling*, external context would dictate whether it is possible to calculate intervals between SMPTE timecode values.
i.e. regardless of any attribute in the TTML file, only the external context truly knows if the 'matching' AV asset has continuous timecode.

Even if a file is attributed as discontinuous markerMode, a processor might determine that the external AV asset is continuous (by examination of all frames for example) and thus determine intervals.

In general for me, the actual markerMode is a moot point, since I would generally expect a processor to act 'intelligently'... that is, treat the timecodes as markers (for in an out cues)... and perhaps only use timecode arithmetic if it was in possession of a 'bigger picture' of the timeline of the associated AV material.

But, this is only my perspective from a subtitling point of view...

If markerMode is deprecated, I would strongly suggest that all SMPTE timecodes are markers. I.e. the effective markerMode is then always 'discontinuous'.

Best regards,
John

John Birch | Strategic Partnerships Manager | Screen
Main Line : +44 1473 831700 | Ext : 2208 | Direct Dial : +44 1473 834532
Mobile : +44 7919 558380 | Fax : +44 1473 830078
John.Birch@screensystems.tv<mailto:John.Birch@screensystems.tv> | www.screensystems.tv<http://www.screensystems.tv> | https://twitter.com/screensystems

Visit us at
IBC, RAI Amsterdam, 12-16 Sept, stand 1.C49

P Before printing, think about the environment