Re: Clarification needed regarding tts:overflow

Thanks Glenn for the clarification!

>     >From the TTML Spec:
>
>     "If the value of this attribute is visible [...] region
>     composition and layout must be performed as if the region's width
>     and height were unconstrained" [1]
>
>     >From my reading content that overflows the region extents the
>     "box" of the region.
>

> No. It merely goes outside of that box (and is not clipped by it).
>
>     That is different what is shown in the first example of
>     tts:overflow where the background color is only applied to the
>     contrained region extent. Only the text content is rendered
>     outside of the regions box.
>

> The size of the box should not be changed for the purpose of drawing
> its background.

OK. Seems that I misunderstood it. But from the conversation I had with
others I am not the only one. From my view the text marked in red (and
'*') leads to this misreading. From my view it would be better to omit
it (but possibly it is to late for a change).

"If the value of this attribute is|visible|, then content should not be
clipped outside of the affected region*, and region composition and
layout must be performed as if the region's width and height were
unconstrained, but with a well-defined origin*. "

- Andreas

Am 01.11.2013 18:56, schrieb Glenn Adams:

> On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Andreas Tai <tai@irt.de
> <mailto:tai@irt.de>> wrote:
>
>     I need some clarification regarding the tts:overflow [1] attribute
>     in TTML 1.0 (2nd edition).
>
>     1) Is this attribute only an indicator how presentation processors
>     should handle content that overflows a region?
>
>     In the description of the desired presentation behaviour for
>     "visible" and "hidden" the key word "should" and not "must" is used.
>     (This seems to reflect the usage of overflow in XSL 1.1 and CSS)
>

> Yes. I suspect we used "should not be clipped" because other semantics
> outside the scope of interpreting this property may cause clipping.
>

>     2) Does tts:overflow "hidden" create a "dynamic sized region"
>     where width and height adopts to the size of the content?
>

> No. It simply behaves as if the region into which this content is
> selected is unconstrained in width (or height) in the inline
> progression dimension.
>

>     >From the TTML Spec:
>
>     "If the value of this attribute is visible [...] region
>     composition and layout must be performed as if the region's width
>     and height were unconstrained" [1]
>
>     >From my reading content that overflows the region extents the
>     "box" of the region.
>

> No. It merely goes outside of that box (and is not clipped by it).
>
>     That is different what is shown in the first example of
>     tts:overflow where the background color is only applied to the
>     contrained region extent. Only the text content is rendered
>     outside of the regions box.
>

> The size of the box should not be changed for the purpose of drawing
> its background.
>

>     Furthermore I believe that if the constrain is meant in that way
>     it is not compatible with CSS.
>

> I'm not sure what you mean here. Could you be more precise, and
> provide an example (in both TTML and HTML/CSS)?
>

>     - Andreas
>
>     [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/#style-attribute-overflow

Andreas Tai
Production Systems Television IRT - Institut fuer Rundfunktechnik GmbH
R&D Institute of ARD, ZDF, DRadio, ORF and SRG/SSR
Floriansmuehlstrasse 60, D-80939 Munich, Germany

Phone: +49 89 32399-389 | Fax: +49 89 32399-200
http: www.irt.de | Email: tai@irt.de

registration court&  managing director:
Munich Commercial, RegNo. B 5191
Dr. Klaus Illgner-Fehns