Re: new issue? dfxp and language selection

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 8:51 AM, John Birch
<john.birch@screen.subtitling.com> wrote:
> I used the sequence element simply because I adapted Daniel's example...
> The example omits any timing element but it was assumed by me to indicate a
> sequential presentation... So the english sequence would be presented
> temporally as "TYRE SCREECH! Quick! Put the body in the boot!"

Just to make sure I understand you correctly:
if there is timing information given, the element is assumed to
indicate sequential presentation, and if there is no timing
information given, the elements are supposed to be looked at as
alternative content? So, you are making the interpretation of the
xml:lang attribute and the use of the div elements dependent on the
existance of other attributes?

> I added a comment about this example requiring selection at the foot of my
> original email (quoted below)...BTW by alt. markup I meant markup to
> indicate that these were alternatives... In a manner similar to the HTML alt
> usage... Sorry I didn't make that clearer...
>
> "BUT what is interesting here is that the two text strings (excluding the
> sound effect representation) ARE equivalents.
> What is certain is that BOTH should NOT be displayed. Perhaps some form of
> alt. markup is required :-)"
>
> Without an implicit assumption of content selection I agree that additional
> markup would be required to show that intent (selective content) - hence the
> comment about the alt tag above (although I do realise that alt in HTML has
> a somewhat different intended usage :-)

Yes, indeed - the "alt" tag in HTML has nothing to do with content
selection, but is just about providing a text string alternative to an
image or other non-text element. We should really use a different and
explicit means to indicate content selection.

Regards,
Silvia.