XSL and CSS Re: Coments - last call draft

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@sidar.org>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 16:17:28 +1000
To: "Al Gilman" <Alfred.S.Gilman@ieee.org>, public-tt@w3.org

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 00:06:17 +1000, Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@ieee.org>
wrote:

>> On the other hand accessibility issues are not addressed by FO. It is
>> not at all clear how a user should expect to provide styling rules to
>> meet their particular needs, as is trivial using CSS for text styling.

>  On the one hand, XSL FO does address accessibility through the
> link-to-source provision.

> http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice7.html#common-accessibility-properties

This is for XSL FO documents - not for a different collection that happens
to use some of the properties out of XSL-FO. A link to the source where it
issome other format isn't likelyto beay more helpful than the DFXP
document.

>  If DXFP does not emulate this, it should be considered.

>  On the other hand, CSS already arogates to itself the ability to
> supercede presentation properties asserted inline in the source being
> styled.

Right. My contention is that DFXP should use CSS as the mechanism by whch
User Agents provide users with the ability to override presentation, where
that is required for accessibility reasons in the case that DFXP is served
directly.

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile                      Fundacion Sidar
charles@sidar.org   +61 409 134 136    http://www.sidar.org