RE: TT Content Buffering and Timing Scenarios

From: Neil Smith <neil@comatose.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 00:23:52 +0000
To: public-tt@w3.org
Cc: glenn@xfsi.com

Hi -

I do wonder about this : The DOM model used in IE allows some ability to
begin parsing the XML before the entire file has downloaded (by watching
the readyState of the document being parsed). I am not sure how far this
goes in terms of being useful.

But from what you say below, it kind of implies that only an event-driven
non-validating parser (SAX or whatever) will be able to *begin* reading a
streamed XML format (by assuming the root tag will be closed).

So, I am guessing that the native XML format may not be streamed as-is but
will be pre-processed into a final client format by some form of media
server. Thoughts ?

Neil Smith.

At 10:10 30/01/2003 -0800, Eric wrote:
>(2) Live (created-on-the-fly) timed text can never have XML rules
>enforced because the entire file doesn't even exist when it starts
>to be shown.  Live RealText provided me with a lot of challenges
>in other ways as well.
>
>         - Erik

VideoChat with friends online, get Freshly Toasted every
day at http://www.fresh-toast.net : NetMeeting solutions
for a connected world.