RE: TT Content Buffering and Timing Scenarios

Hi Glenn - I don't have the URL to hand, but realtext can be streamed
(though only through RTP, not from HTTP afaik) : RealText has
<required>...</required> tags

Tealtext manual : "Use these tags to enclose text that must be delivered to
RealPlayer under any circumstance. During extremely adverse network
conditions, RealSystem will halt the presentation if necessary rather than
drop the text."

In practice, the bandwidth for streamed text is so low this would never
realistically happen from a Helix / Realserver box. But these systems
*definitely* stream the text too, whereas HTTP I guess will deliver the
whole file verbatim - I don't have a big enough example to time it :-)

Not too sure about SAMI though - it seems to be a bolt-on, and is handled
by the player rather than the server afaik (ie, using a ?SAMI=url or by
adding to the media directory). Maybe I'll sniff my server logs and see
what the timing of requests is.

Cheersn
Neil Smith.

At 20:22 29/01/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>I should have added the following:
>
>In using RealText and QuickText as (potential) examples of non-streaming
>TT content, I did not mean to imply that they were only non-streaming; I
>believe (but am not completely certain) that they also may be delivered
>in streaming mode; perhaps someone can confirm this for me.
>
>G.

VideoChat with friends online, get Freshly Toasted every
day at http://www.fresh-toast.net : NetMeeting solutions
for a connected world.