Re: TT and subtitling

From: Charles Wiltgen <lists@wiltgen.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 17:17:24 -0800
To: List € W3C Timed Text <public-tt@w3.org>

geoff freed wrote...

> It is becoming apparent that we should consider a broader definition of
> subtitle vs caption.  That is, not differentiating subtitles from captions
> based on language, but based on content:
>
> -- captions contain additional information (sound effect cues, identifiers)
> -- subtitles contain no additional information

Here's my understanding:

    Subtitles

        - Intended for all viewers who speak a given language*

        - Displayed by default for those viewers

        - Includes dialog only

    Captioning

        - Intended for hearing-impaired viewers

        - Displayed on request** by those viewers

        - Includes both dialog and audio events
          (generally visually differentiated by style, color, etc.)

    *For example, English translations of French dialogue for English-
    speaking viewers, which are unnecessary for French-speaking viewers.

    **Why isn't there a "I am hearing impaired" system preference?

This needs to be defined as part of the standard since content may include
both subtitles and captioning (although they will generally be exclusive).

-- Charles Wiltgen
   <http://playbacktime.com/>