RE: TT and subtitling

From: Glenn A. Adams <glenn@xfsi.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:36:35 -0500
To: <Johnb@screen.subtitling.com>, <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>, <public-tt@w3.org>
Actually, I think we should define this terminology
very clearly in our work, as there has been much confusion
because of variant usage.

In a recent working document in SMPTE, these have been
defined as follows:

Captions

Text that is a representation, often in the
same language, of dialog and audio events occurring during
scenes of a motion picture. (Generally associated with
dialog and audio event translation for the deaf and hard
of hearing.)

Subtitle

Text that is a representation, in a different language,
of dialog occurring during scenes of a motion picture.
Generally associated with dialog translation for localization
of a motion picture in a particular territory.

I would suggest we adopt these definitions for our
working language unless and until we need to clarify them
further.

G.