RE: TT and subtitling

From: <Johnb@screen.subtitling.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 16:17:10 -0000
To: glenn@xfsi.com, geoff_freed@wgbh.org
Cc: public-tt@w3.org

GAA wrote:

	> Actually, I think we should define this terminology
	> very clearly in our work, as there has been much confusion
	> because of variant usage.

	<SMPTE definition snipped>

	> I would suggest we adopt these definitions for our
	> working language unless and until we need to clarify them
	> further.

I'm more than happy to adopt these definitions as a working language for
discussions in this forum, though please excuse any lapses I might fall into
:-)

I feel that these definitions **need not** form part of a TT standard
document (unless the TT standard uses captioning or subtitling as an example
of a TT application). Can you explain why you feel a distinction is
necessary for the purposes of defining a TT standard?

regards John Birch.

The views and opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily
reflect the views and opinions of the Screen Subtitling Systems Limited.