From: Roy T. Fielding
Sent: Friday, October 26 2018, 7:04 pm
To: Matthias Schunter
Cc: Jason A. Novak; public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org); Wendy Seltzer
Subject: Re: Proposed version of the final TPE Note we plan to publish

>> On Oct 25, 2018, at 12:40 AM, Matthias Schunter (Intel Corporation) <mts-std@schunter.org <mailto:mts-std@schunter.org> > wrote:
>>
>> I think that it is important to spell out the third parties and
>> ecosystem since the "normal" sites are not the main bottleneck.
>>
>> I had a quick discussion with Jason and we suggest to add:
>>
>> "… there has not been sufficient willingness on the part of sites, third
>> parties, and the ecosystem at large to adopt the specification nor any
>> indications of planned support among user agents for the proposed
>> extensions to justify further advancement."
>>
>> Any objections to this addition?

Reading it again on my laptop, I see that the notion of "willingness"
has been introduced here.  Aside from being false in general, it is never
a good idea for editors to assume intent when it could just as likely be

that the spec might be too poorly written or just not interesting enough

for the current context.

Instead, I will broaden the part about browsers to include third parties

and the ecosystem:

      Since its last publication as a Candidate Recommendation, there has not
      been sufficient deployment of these extensions (as defined) to justify
      further advancement, nor have there been indications of planned support
      among user agents, third parties, and the ecosystem at large. The
      working group has therefore decided to conclude its work and republish
      the final product as this Note, with any future addendums to be
      published separately.

To be clear, "indications of planned support" are important for continuation of work,
WG chartering, and such; actual deployment is needed for advancement from CR.

....Roy