Re: DAA departing & moving forward

To the Working Group:

I note with sadness but not surprise the decision today by the Digital Advertising Alliance to withdraw from the Tracking Protection Working Group of the World Wide Web Consortium.  In announcing their departure, they chose my actions as the most convenient excuse for leaving the process: “Unfortunately, these efforts were rejected out of hand by TPWG co-chair Peter Swire, who jettisoned the long-accepted W3C procedure in order to anoint his own way forward.”

I share the frustration in the DAA message with the inability of the Working Group to achieve better results.  I believe a fair review of the history, however, shows that the views of the DAA and its members were valued and included in months of hard work together in the Group:

(1) I met individually with the leadership of each DAAmember during the “listening tour” in late 2012, after I was named co-chair.

(2) A major part of the agenda at the February Face-to-Face, in Cambridge, was based on the DAA proposal concerning ways to limit access to a user’s lifetime browsing history.

(3) DAA proposals and language were discussed in detail during weekly teleconferences for the next several months.  Indeed, a repeated theme on the list during this period was the concern from consumer advocates that a disproportionateamount of time of the Group was being spent on DAA proposals.

(4) In the lead-up to the May Face-to-Face in California, there were intensive negotiations on what became known as the Draft Framework, which became the agenda for our three-day meeting.  The DAA was deeply enough involved in these negotiations that its General Counsel, Stu Ingis, presented the Draft Framework to the Group in one of its calls.

(5) Coming out of the May meeting, the full group, including the DAA, issued a consensus document that enough progress had been made that we should continue to work toward the long-agreed Last Call deadline of the end of July.

(6) As an effort to have one clear text that would be the focus of the Group’s efforts, we then had the summer process to create proposed language and then comments on a base text.  Among the change proposals, by far the greatest amount of time on the Group calls was devoted to the text proposed by the DAA and those associated with it.

(7) Both co-chairs, supported by W3C staff, then issued approximately 40 single-spaced pages of decision documents.  These documents contained a massive number of footnotes and citations to the comments submitted by Working Group members.  Based on the record developed by the full Group, these documents explained reasons why the June Draft would remain the base text rather than the proposal submitted by the DAA and those associated with it.  In brief, the criteria for a standard that we discussed in Cambridge, based on the overall record, would not be met by the proposal submitted by the DAA and others.

Based on this history, the DAA views were simply not rejected “out of hand.”

My own view is that the Working Group does not have a path to consensus that includes large blocs of stakeholders with views as divergent as the DAA, on the one hand, and those seeking stricter privacy rules, on the other.  I devoted my time as co-chair to trying to find creative ways to achieve consumer choice and privacy while also enabling a thriving commercial Internet.  I no longer see any workable path to a standard that will gain active support from both wings of the Working Group.

When participants don’t get the outcome they want on substance, they often blame the procedure.  As an imperfect human being, and one working within the W3C processes for the first time, I am sure that I could have done better at various points on procedure.  The actual procedure that led to the July decision came directly from my close discussions with W3C staff, and used the mechanism for resolving a disputed issue that the Working Group established and used before I became co-chair.

I intensely share the frustration that all the hard work by members of the Working Group has not created a consensus path forward.  I believe there is consensus in the Working Group that members have worked very hard, and I worked very hard, to find apath forward.  I put almost all of my other professional work on hold, at financial cost to myself, to try to find a solution on Do Not Track.

Going forward, there are cogent reasons for stakeholders to continue to work, inside and outside of W3C, to develop standards and good practices for commercial privacy on the Internet.

We knew coming in that this was a hard problem.  It remains a hard problem. The procedures at W3C this summer are not the reason that it became hard.

With best wishes to all of you,

Peter

P.S.  I expect to be generally off-line today and much of this week.

Prof. Peter P. Swire
Nancy J. and Lawrence P. Huang Professor
Law and Ethics Program
Scheller College of Business
Georgia Institute of Technology

240.994.4142