Re: DNT: Agenda for Call March 6

I agree this is the intuitive way to approach this given the expectations test.  However, at some point it is a fool's mission to create a standard to enforce an untrue expectation.  Where Macy is in such a subordinate position in the ecosystem such that they are completely reliant on the platform to obtain any user data, it's bizarre to treat the two players as equals with regard to that data.

Frankly, it's tautological to say that Macy's feels like the First Party to the user, so it is the First Party, with First Party defined as the site that feels like it's the one the user is interacting with.

Which is why I don't think your response to John works.  If the two parties were each collecting info directly from the user, maybe you could ignore the sharing.  But the only way Macys gets non-public info here is from Facebook.  So how do you phrase this Multiple Party relationship to only allow sharing in one direction.

Again, I think if First Party were limited to entities named in a URL, that might be a clear way to solve this issue...

(PS.  I'm happy to migrate to a non-facebook example.  What about github.com/microsoft, etsy.com/oldmarket)

Lauren Gelman
@laurengelman
BlurryEdge Strategies
415-627-8512