RE: June Change Proposal: Meaning of DNT: 0

+1 (and to Jonathan’s earlier suggestion to remove the personalization language).

Now that we have a definition of “Tracking”, we’re in a position to hone language considerably and focus on not retaining the history of a specific user’s web site activity across [non-affiliated] sites.

[Note – I know Jonathan doesn’t agree with “affiliates” in the definition of 1st party so I don’t want to intimate that my agreement with his proposal somehow suggests that he agrees on this term.]

From: Jonathan Mayer [mailto:jmayer@stanford.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:14 AM
To: public-tracking@w3.org Group WG
Subject: June Change Proposal: Meaning of DNT: 0

The June Draft defines DNT: 0 as "a preference for a personalized experience."  That seems out of line with the text's focus on collection/retention/use/sharing of browsing histories rather than website personalization.

I would propose dropping the first paragraph of User-Granted Exceptions that attempts to define what DNT: 0 means.  The following paragraph seems sufficient—DNT: 0 means whatever a user agrees to in providing consent.