Re: ACTION-255: Work on financial reporting text as alternative to legal requirements

Rigo, I believe the standard of practice in these cases of adherence to
laws/guidelines/specification/regulations is most often interpreted and
regulated via the premise of doing what's reasonably necessary to adhere
(emphasis on reasonable).  As you point out, it's possible for users to
mask their IP address.  In the vast majority of cases however, that's not
done, is not normal and it's certainly not the status quo (you describe
more of an edge case with respect to IP spoofing than what's the norm).
In Alan's real-world scenario, the ad network has to do what's reasonably
required to adhere, and since placing a line trace on every user's IP
address to determine if they are using a proxy to spoof their location
wouldn't be reasonable, assuring that the IP address matches known Geo
locations associated with that IP address is the standard of enforcement--
because it's reasonable, and workable in a production environment.

Best Regards,

Chris Mejia | Digital Supply Chain Solutions | Ad Technology Group |
Interactive Advertising Bureau - IAB