Re: ACTION-255: Work on financial reporting text as alternative to legal requirements

Alan,

On Thursday 27 September 2012 11:55:34 Alan Chapell wrote:
> Jeff and others have made repeated requests for industry to share
> specifics on how industry operates. Its sort of frustrating that
> my attempts to provide an example have been met with such
> ridicule.

I'm deeply sorry if you feel I was welcoming your thoughts with
ridicule. I was rather taking the challenge to be as colorful as you
are. Maybe that went wrong.

Even without DNT:1, it would already be difficult to guarantee that
a certain IP comes from a certain territory. VPN is your friend
here, and proxies, and Tor and... So while I take your example
seriously, people trying to distinguish a user being in UK or not is
not really realistic. I'm currently using a socks-proxy that re-
routes my HTTP-traffic via Boston. It is like relying on the number
plate of the car to determine the nationality of the driver. It's
often true, but in Europe less and less frequently.

All this is something we have to develop a strategy for. But it is
no reason for a permitted use. You sounded like striving for a
permitted use that would just allow to do business and collection as
usual, even for DNT:1 users.

Rigo